Welcome! Since 1969, the Museum Education Roundtable has engaged museum education professionals to develop tools and resources for documenting and advancing the work of our field. Over the decades, how MER communicates with our community has evolved. Today, this includes an active social media presence and this recently redesigned website. However, our core “product” — the Journal of Museum Education — continues to be our primary focus. Through the JME and our blog, reader guides, and other opportunities, we are committed to providing timely and relevant contributions from diverse voices in the field of museum education.
You can show your support for MER and the JME in a number of ways.
- Join MER! Your membership gets you 4 print issues per year of the Journal of Museum Education by mail as well as access to the fully searchable digital archive that includes more than 40 years of full text articles about the theory, training, and practice of museum education. MER members also receive complimentary access to the digital edition of Visitor Studies.
- Write for the JME. We welcome new authors and unsolicited proposals. Writing for the JME benefits the field-at-large through authors’ contributions to professional scholarship and leadership. It also looks great on your resume!
- Become a peer reviewer. Submissions to the JME are blind reviewed by a panel of peers in the museum education community. Serving as a peer reviewer is an exciting way to get behind-the-scenes access to the publication of the JME and help us maintain the quality and integrity of the publication. Contact our Editor-in-Chief Cynthia Robinson for details at JMuseEd@gmail.com.
- Join our Board of Directors. Nominations are accepted each spring for a commitment beginning with our annual Board Retreat in August.
- Connect with us. You’ll find us on Twitter (@MusEdRoundtable) and Facebook. Also be on the lookout for friendly MER Board members at the American Alliance of Museums Annual Meeting and other regional and national conferences throughout the year. In early August MER hosts an annual Forum, an opportunity to engage in person with topics and issues raised by the JME.
With so many opportunities to be involved with MER, there’s sure to be something that’s the perfect fit for you. Join us as we put Knowledge in Action! I’d also love to hear from you about anything on your mind related to MER and the JME. Please feel free to contact me directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Amanda Thompson Rundahl
Museum Education Roundtable
Director of Learning & Engagement
Saint Louis Art Museum